Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:47 am

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Any opinions on a Thor Tahoe Transport trailer?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Any opinions on a Thor Tahoe Transport trailer?  ( 18420 )
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #15 : May 26, 2009, 08:40:39 am »

Sounds pretty good, glad Bob had the 6.1 as I remember he was NOT happy until he got the new truck. Check into the air bags or Timbrens, I'm sure you'll need them. Next time you're out in the des. look at the straps under Bob's tanks, mine were supported at the top like you describe but also had straps/angles under them. Since this is a newer rig they may have upgraded the supports, just don't want the tank falling out while going down Bessimer!
Chris Cory - President 2012-14 -Life Memeber
Administrator

: 1981

Wear the shield with pride!

« #16 : May 26, 2009, 09:01:12 am »

That is for sure Donn, it has 5 water tanks and 2 gas tanks! 2 fresh, 2 grey and 1 black plus a gas tank for the generator and one for the bikes.

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« #17 : May 26, 2009, 11:21:57 am »

Sounds pretty good, glad Bob had the 6.1 as I remember he was NOT happy until he got the new truck. Check into the air bags or Timbrens, I'm sure you'll need them. Next time you're out in the des. look at the straps under Bob's tanks, mine were supported at the top like you describe but also had straps/angles under them. Since this is a newer rig they may have upgraded the supports, just don't want the tank falling out while going down Bessimer!

Good info there, ours had upper and lower supports, the lowers were thin angle iron and bowed pretty good when filled, which put a load on the Head of those little sheet metal screws, which would make them break the head off the screws or strip out the holes, I fixed ours before any damage, The guys over ay RV net had told me about this problem as well as the floor being a problem.  It will get repaired with some plywood instead of that junk particle board.

Good luck with the trade Chris
I am sure you will be happy with the Rig, we have looked at them , we want to go to a 5 er, the bed in our tag trailer is a pain to say the least!!  Someone gets to climb over the other in the middle of the night when needing to use the the rest room, usually DW, but after a few beers around the campfire  ;D

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

« #18 : May 26, 2009, 11:24:29 am »

Here's some Timbrens on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-08-Sierra-Silverado-2500HD-1500HD-Rear-TIMBREN-Kit_W0QQitemZ110392496693QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b3e7d235&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I had bags on my 1/2 ton and was always fixing them, won't do that again unless absolutely necessary. Lots of guys on RV.net swear by the Timbrens.
Administrator

« #19 : May 26, 2009, 11:55:46 am »

I didn't have any problems with my bags and I did look into the Timbrens. I do like the fact that the air bags can be adjusted as needed depending on what you have going on. I used to run about 25 to 35psi in them with around 3 -3.5K pin weight on my old truck. When it was empty I would run about 5psi which really helped with the ride on the freeways around here. My truck now is really rough on the freeways too.

I should know today or tomorrow if the financing side works out. He has enough cash to make it work but he just needs to make it all work for tax right offs and things like that.

It's never over until the cash is in hand though so I am still waiting.  :-\

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Administrator

« #20 : May 30, 2009, 03:13:10 pm »

Well so far so good, it looks like I will be joining the ranks of trailer trash before long. Wait did I just say that?  ;D
He has already been approved by two different lenders but he is going to check one more this week just to try and get the best loan. He is pulling some money out of a 401K so that is about a 10 day process. I should get the trailer in mid June at this point. At this point something major would have to happen for the deal not to go through but until the money is in my hands it isn't over.

I was wondering what I was going to do during the week prepping for our race. With the motorhome I wouldn't have had a truck to drive around during the week.

So viewies I want you to know we sold our motorhome and got a trailer just for you!  ;)

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

« #21 : May 30, 2009, 03:38:49 pm »

Well so far so good, it looks like I will be joining the ranks of trailer trash before long. Wait did I just say that?  ;D
He has already been approved by two different lenders but he is going to check one more this week just to try and get the best loan. He is pulling some money out of a 401K so that is about a 10 day process. I should get the trailer in mid June at this point. At this point something major would have to happen for the deal not to go through but until the money is in my hands it isn't over.

I was wondering what I was going to do during the week prepping for our race. With the motorhome I wouldn't have had a truck to drive around during the week.

So viewies I want you to know we sold our motorhome and got a trailer just for you!  ;)

Welcome to the Viewie Trailer Trash group!! Glad you'll have the new rig for the race, will be nice to have the truck to get around in and haul stuff, I use the crap out of mine every year. Make sure you inspect the suspension!!!
Administrator

« #22 : May 30, 2009, 04:19:27 pm »

Yes visually the underside looks very clean. I didn't notice anything that stuck out on the shackles but I plan on doing the new shackles like your doing anyway. They say it makes a big difference in the trailer. I am putting air bags on the truck along with the air ride pin box at some point. I need to see how it drives before I do the pin box.

I can't believe how bad some of the suspensions look in terms of rust that some of those guys have.

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

« #23 : May 31, 2009, 11:59:36 am »

That scared the poop out of me when I spotted that shackle. It looked almost like the one pictured on RV.net that I know you've seen, that's what convinced me to do the bearings/inspection this weekend. I don't think that shackle would have made the trip to Barney's next weekend, might have broken going out the driveway. Looking forward to no big axle popping when backing in the driveway!
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: