Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:11:20 pm

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Always wear knee guards or this could be you!!!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Always wear knee guards or this could be you!!!  ( 3785 )
Chris Cory - President 2012-14 -Life Memeber
Administrator

: 1981

Wear the shield with pride!

« : January 03, 2011, 06:17:00 pm »

Ok, most of you probably already wear them and can't figure out why I wasn't. It was one of those things that I was going to buy someday but never got to it. I have never worn knee guards and so far I had never had an issue.

We went out for a ride Saturday and I ended up behind Charlie on the trail ride. He was showing us some great technical riding. Within a minute of leaving camp, I was in his dust and tagged a rock. Hit the ground a little hard and got right up and the bike was still running. Everyone asked if I was ok and I said yes and we all keep going. We road for around an hour before Kyle decided to smash his dad's radiator. We turned around and headed back to camp. I knew my leg was bleeding the whole ride but thought it was just a little cut. Towards the end, it was getting a little sore and was getting harder to stand up. When we got back to camp, I pulled my boot off and there was blood everywhere. It soaked through my socks, long johns and riding pants. A special thank you to Charlie and Marry for doing some initial clean up. Once we saw the damage, it was off to the ER. I spent 7 hours at Ridgecrest ER and 3.5 of those was in the waiting room. The crash happened around 12:30 and I didn't get in to have them look at it until around 7:00.

After looking at my pants this morning, I am guessing that when I hit the rock, my right leg came off the foot peg and it looks like the peg shot up and hit my leg doing the damage.

Below are some pictures, once you see them, you will not want to ride without guards again if you aren't now.
It took around 50 stitches total and was all the way down to the bone. He had his finger in there spraying it with water cleaning it all out. He did are whole bunch inside to pull everything together. Then he did the outside that you can see in the pictures.
I am posting them as links instead of in this thread in case you can't handle seeing gross stuff.

After being cleaned up by Charlie and Mary.
http://www.offroadtoybox.com/viewfinders/pics/2011-01-01_19-33-32_764.jpg

After being cleaned up by the nurse. (Pretty Gross)
http://www.offroadtoybox.com/viewfinders/pics/2011-01-01_20-24-46_314.jpg

After being all stitched up.
http://www.offroadtoybox.com/viewfinders/pics/2011-01-01_21-40-46_399.jpg

Today after being in the bandage for two days.
http://www.offroadtoybox.com/viewfinders/pics/2011-01-03_17-37-42_54.jpg

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Jim Johnson
Viewfinder

: 124

« #1 : January 03, 2011, 08:02:04 pm »

Chicks dig scars.
Aaron Price
Officer

: 1338

World record holder- 100 yard Husqvarna push.

« #2 : January 03, 2011, 08:26:06 pm »

When I was young my mentor told me something very important that always stayed with me.  It was something to the effect of "WHAT KIND OF IDIOT ARE YOU?  WHY DO YOU THINK THEY MAKE RIDING PANTS?  THEY MAKE THEM THAT WAY SO THAT KNEE GUARDS WILL FIT IN THEM!  THAT IS THE ONLY POINT OF RIDING PANTS!  THEY ARE NOT FOR FASHION AND ARE POINTLESSLY EXPENSIVE IF YOU DO NOT WEAR THE KNEE GUARDS WITH THEM!"

Since he was so worked up about it I always thought it was worth remembering.

P.S.  Embed photos! I am lazy and can't be bothered with all of this extra clicking.

Bureaucracy is a parasite that preys on free thought and suffocates free spirit.- Douglas Adams
Trhollister
Viewfinder

: 220

« #3 : January 03, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »

That is gnarly.I cant believe you didnt feel it right away.Heal up quick!Good races are comeing.

Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #4 : January 04, 2011, 06:29:26 am »

When that heals up we'll compare scars. Mine is real similar only it came about due to a lay down. AND I WASN'T WEARING RIDING PANTS!! (which at that time were leather!).

Hope it isn't hurting too bad, but I know you're either on crutches or walking stiff legged.
Charlie & Darlene Barney - Life Members, 2015 President
Global Moderator

: 1684

« #5 : January 04, 2011, 06:43:08 am »

Nice can we say KNEE CUPS!!! I hear they are very cheep OR Knee braces with cups. Never leave home without them.

CB

CB
2015 President & Big 6 Rep/ Life member/ Joined-1974.
Do you Bleed Golden Rod ?
Keith Jones - VP
Officer

: 1398

« #6 : January 04, 2011, 07:29:40 am »

Duct tape could have saved you the hospital visit!!! The only problem would be pulling the hair of them legs when things was healed up! ;D
The nay-on-knee guards must be a quad thing ??? Heal up and buy some knee guards!!!
« : January 04, 2011, 07:33:27 am Keith Jones - VP »
Kandy
Viewfinder

: 837

« #7 : January 04, 2011, 11:19:00 am »

I treated a similar injury (not quite as deep) out in the dez with a good scrub brush... peroxide... and maxi pads taped to the poor guys knee.  He stayed out there and rode all weekend.. just changing his sanitary supplies as needed....

« : January 04, 2011, 12:21:11 pm Kandy Thornton »

Kandy Thornton
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« #8 : January 04, 2011, 11:39:40 am »

I have a "BRAND NEW" pair of knee/shin guards in my gear bag for about 2 years now.
Time to start wearing them !!  :-[

I finally started wearing elbow pads after banging them up so many times  :o

Man thats some gnarly pics  ;D

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« #9 : January 04, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »

I treated a similar injury (not quite as deep) out in the dez with a good scrub brush... peroxide... and maxi pads taped to the poor guys knee.  He stayed out there and rode all weekend.. just changing his sanitary supplies as needed....

I have heard that it is a good idea to keep them "maxi pads" in your first aid kit  ;D

the scrub brush thing reminds me of an incident in high school where I was stepped on with track spikes and my foot was ripped open, I saw the bones and tissue hanging out of the wound, the nurse used a scrub brush and something in a bottle to clean things up, I don't think I have ever screamed so much in my life, the initial cut and the stitches were a "piece of cake" compared to the scrubbing ::)

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Bill McInnes - D37 Rep
Reps

: 151

« #10 : January 04, 2011, 03:44:36 pm »

Sounds like another victim of Barney miles.
Get well soon Chris. Those are some nasty looking photos.
Administrator

« #11 : January 04, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »

Thanks guys. Actually it wasn't the Barney miles that got me. We were on a normal little trail cruising along. I was thinking about some advice that was given but I don't remember exactly what happened except seeing the rock at the last minute. I didn't get enough Barney miles this weekend so I hope we can get some more soon!  ;D We had a good little ride on Thursday also and Saturday was still fun but wasn't as good riding with a sore leg. Friday I took some of the young-ins out for a ride on Friday and they all said they had fun.

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Brian MacKenzie - VP
Viewfinder

: 760

« #12 : January 06, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »

All I want to know is how did anything get past that horse blanket you had wrapped around your leg? ???

sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/desertvet
Administrator

« #13 : January 07, 2011, 05:35:51 am »

Hey, how do you think I keep warm wearing shorts all the time?  ;D

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Norm Takaki
Viewfinder

: 455

« #14 : January 07, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »

Double WOW,
 The second pic (after the the pro clean) looks like your knee is Smiling and the last pic your knee is frowning.
 Is that a couple straws sticking out for a drain ? So I bet taking a shower and a crap is fun..

Norm

Norm Takaki
Viewfinders MC Pres.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: