Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:57 am

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Rider Down
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Rider Down  ( 1785 )
Rick Hudachek
Global Moderator

: 348

2016 President

« : May 22, 2011, 05:52:53 pm »

Well as some of you experienced and some may have heard we had a rider down at Gordanland.  Our friends the Batchelders came out for the weekend and their middle boy Collin (14) went riding with us.  He was struggling a little and his father Thom decided their best choice was to go back to camp.  On the way to camp Thom was setting the pace when Collin, on a 650L, went blasting by him.  Thom said he could see it coming and tried to catch up to Collin to slow him down.  Across the road there were numberous rain ruts nad washouts.  Thom guessed Collins speed was about 65 to 70 mph.  Collin stuffed his front tire into a 10" face of a rainrut.  He went over the bars, and the bike went up in the air about 20', all with his father Thom watching.  While we were wrapping up the group ride, Josh Jenkins saw Thom waving and went over to discover the rider down.  Jason Schalow showed some of his Ammie speed (yes he needs a yellow bar) and booked it to camp and called 911, and later led the ambulance into the scene.  The rest of the group went to Collins aid.  I went to camp to get my EMT kit, and James Jenkins was maintaining C-Spine precautions on Collin.  The rest of the group was assisting in keeping Collin and Thom calm.  Vince showed up about the same time I did, and we were going to splint his arms (obvious fractures to wrists) but with his complaint of rib pain an brathing problems we were not going to move him without a backboard.  Russ Jenkins came with his truck and loaded both of their bikes, and the medics showed a short time later.  I know I missed some names in the story, and I apologize for not rememering who did what.

Collin was transported to Ridgecrest Regional, and later flown to Loma Linda.  As of 1730 hours 5/22 Collins status is as follows:  he had a puntured lung, with that lobe of the lung being 85% bruised, both wrists were fractured and dislocated, and he had fractures of T1 & T2 (both insignificant and will not cause any swelling to be concerened with).  He is staying at Loma Linda until Tuesday when he is projected to be released (the main concern is his lung and if he contracted pneumonia it would be serious).

So, with that I cannot thank my Viewie family for all that they did this weekend, you are all awesome.  The Batchelders are very close to Nikki and I and you all took such great care of them, and their boys that stayed with us.  The gratitude Nikki & I have cannot be expressed in words, you all made them a part of OUR family without question or hesitation.  I am very happy to be a Viewfinder, and there are no better people to be with.

Thank you all,
Rick & Nikki Hudachek

D37 - V28x
The ONLY 2x winner of the Magisil Award!
Keith Jones - VP
Officer

: 1398

« #1 : May 22, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »

Keep us updated. Was bummed to hear the news when we came back from Mohave. Keith
ps Yo Hudy, Did you leave a white cutting board and stainless steel knife and tongs behind? Thanks for the early Christmas present. They beat my Dollar Store set !!!  Tara desperately wants to clean the cutting board ;D
Get well soon Collin.
« : May 22, 2011, 08:43:22 pm Keith Jones - VP »
Chris Cory - President 2012-14 -Life Memeber
Administrator

: 1981

Wear the shield with pride!

« #2 : May 22, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »

Thanks for the update Rick, I was going to ask how he was doing.

It was nice to meet them and I think they would be a good fit for the Viewie family. Collins was saying that he never wanted to ride again but hopefully in time he will change his mind. I know he was in a lot of pain and I can only imagine what it was like for Thom to see it happen and see him laying there like he was. It is going to be a tough recovery for him so I hope for the best for him. Please tell them we are all thinking about him and are hoping for a quick and uncomplicated recovery.

I won't say to much here public-ally but this was a good reminder of the difference in medical treatment between an organized event with people standing by and getting hurt out play riding. All I will say is it is a good thing he wasn't hurt any worse than he was.

Chris Cory
Dez O555
GP O555
Enduro O555
Rick Hudachek
Global Moderator

2016 President

« #3 : May 22, 2011, 09:03:52 pm »

Keep us updated. Was bummed to hear the news when we came back from Mohave. Keith
ps Yo Hudy, Did you leave a white cutting board and stainless steel knife and tongs behind? Thanks for the early Christmas present. They beat my Dollar Store set !!!  Tara desperately wants to clean the cutting board ;D
Get well soon Collin.

Those are mine  :-[ Ill have to try to get them from you later

D37 - V28x
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« #4 : May 22, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »

Hoping things get better with Collin, sucks to get hurt on a play day weekend.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Trhollister
Viewfinder

: 220

« #5 : May 23, 2011, 07:47:42 pm »

The Batchelders are good people.Hope he heals up quikly.
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #6 : May 23, 2011, 09:12:48 pm »

Any word on how he is doing ??

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Rick Hudachek
Global Moderator

2016 President

« #7 : May 24, 2011, 12:37:31 am »

He is doing better.  No surguries required for his wrists or the lung.  Hopefully he will be realased Wed. He is up walking around and they got him off the IV meds and onto oral medication.  He has strained tendons in his neck and has to wear a C- collar for another 5 days.  We are making arrangements to go pick up Thoms trailer in Ridgecrest for him.

D37 - V28x
Keith Jones - VP
Officer

: 1398

« #8 : May 24, 2011, 07:27:35 am »

No surgeries is GREAT news!!! Heal up Collin!!
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #9 : May 24, 2011, 10:12:53 am »

Sounds like his recovery is going well.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Charlie & Darlene Barney - Life Members, 2015 President
Global Moderator

: 1684

« #10 : May 24, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »

Colin I hope you feel better soon all the Viewe's are behind you.

CB

CB
2015 President & Big 6 Rep/ Life member/ Joined-1974.
Do you Bleed Golden Rod ?
: [1]  
« previous next »
: