Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:05 am

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  question about bikes and horses...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: question about bikes and horses...  ( 1762 )
Kristy

« : March 22, 2007, 01:26:05 pm »

Alright, I have only been riding for a short time, but every time I encounter a horse I slow down to 1st and just put along as far away from the horse as possible. I remain like this till I think its ok to go. Today, I encountered 2 horses, did the same thing....and got yelled at by one of the ladies who refused to move aside (there were 2 horses side by side taking up the whole road) because I was "supposed to pull over". Should I have pulled over or was I fine doing what I did?
thanks
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #1 : March 22, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »

I don't think there is a law saying "supposed to pull over" but I usually do as you do, or stop altogether and shut off the bike. On the other hand the horsey lady should be considerate as well and make room. What would she have done if you had just stopped on the side of the road? Did she expect you to actually pull off the road? Snooty horse people if you ask me.
teddysgurl15

: 6

« #2 : March 22, 2007, 01:51:15 pm »

i have a horse and when im riding on the trail its usually nice for a bike rider to pull over but it doesnt matter to me if u pull over or just go slowly by; but thats because i dont have a spooky horse... the lady's horse might have gotten scared easily and she didnt want it to hurt her or anyone else. but most likely u just encountered a snob. :-\
kristy

« #3 : March 22, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »

thanks for the input guys, it really threw me for a loop when she started yelling....im surprised that she didn't spook her own horse.  :D  But yes, she was actually bent because I didn't pull off of the trail and let her and her friend pass. I was on the very side of the road just so I could keep going.

Yesterday I ran across a lady and her dog jogging......I slowed like normal and she waved me on, only to have her dog run right in front of me. Of course I wasn't expecting that, and, being the beginner that I am  :), laid the bike over just so I wouldn't hit her dog. Then she runs to her dog asking if it was ok.....never minding the rider that fell so the dog wouldn't get hit......she then asked if I was ok and headed on her merry little way. My bike wouldn't start for about 30 min. after that, good thing I had a cell phone and could have called someone if I needed to......

Man, people complain about motorcycles and how rude riders are, but I honestly think people hate us (well, me in particular lol).
teddysgurl15

: 6

« #4 : March 22, 2007, 03:55:33 pm »

haha u have bad luck  ;)
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #5 : March 22, 2007, 04:19:47 pm »

Man, people complain about motorcycles and how rude riders are, but I honestly think people hate us (well, me in particular lol).

keep up the positive attitude and polite ways, you're right, people often have bad impressions of us but if you continue to do the right thing it will help. Thank you for not flying by either the horse or hiker, that would really set them off. I think the horsy type was a jackass from your description. I've ridden by a group of hikers, maybe 15-20 and just shifed down to first, idled by as far over in the road as possible, then we all waved!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: