Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:26:23 am

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  Archived Race Reports and meeting minutes
| | |-+  DMC Race Report
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: DMC Race Report  ( 5047 )
Kandy
Viewfinder

: 837

« : January 28, 2008, 10:46:38 am »

By Jenn & Kandy:

Headed out to Lucerne early Sat morning figuring we would encounter epic conditions.  Ground wet in V?ville.. Good sign.. Ground wet in AV... another good sign... dry lake before Lucerne, bone dry.. Uh oh.. Bad sign!  No rain in Lucerne for Saturday, but things would definitely change!  Headed down Bessemer for the 1 hour drive to the staging area and pulled into Viewie Camp and found Brian (Sandy) MacKenzie and the Gamaunt family already set up. We were getting ready to head over to watch Erica race and here come Todd Iles bombing into camp with only a few minutes to get Steven signed up for the Kid?s event... Prospective Chris Bodkin(?) came out with Todd along with his son Connor. Prospect Austin arrived shortly thereafter and we all headed to the Kid?s event.

Steven and Connor raced first and we all had a great time cheering for the 2 boys on their KTM Senior Adventure 50's. They were standing, railing the turns and making some good passes out there! Erica made an awesome pass in the next race right in front of us and the crowd went wild!!  Congrats to all the Mini Viewies - DMC gave away great loot bags along with the trophies. Headed back to camp and John decided the club needed a ?Family Ride?. Big John was the ride leader followed by Kyle ?Freestyle? Nay, Jon ?XR?n the Dunes? Thornton, Erica, Steven and Connor. Jenn and I followed in the Rhino. We headed for the sand dunes and thought we would only make it a little ways before the tykes faded. NO WAY!  These kids stole the show.  Not only did we make it to the dunes, they rode the heck out of them!  Jenn had to abandon the Rhino to lift the 50's out of the sand along with Erica?s bike and they didn?t want to leave. Meanwhile, Kyle was entertaining us all by jumping the highest dune out there. Saw one overjump... but no splatter.... :) We made it back to camp just as the sun was going down - another great day in the dez!

Cold and windy on Sat night, but good friends and conversation always warm things up. Kyle, Pete Medina and Norm joined us for dinner and then we all headed out to enjoy the campfire. The Captain, Jack, Jose and Crown R also joined us and everyone had a good time (some more than others!) High winds and rain started late Sat night and Sunday dawned clear and cool with the smell of wet desert.... Ahhhhh....

Headed into the pits after watching from the end of the bomb run and Pete had everything set up and running like a well oiled machine. We were anticipating Jim McGrath as our first rider to come and he did... but with 2 flats and well behind where he should have been.  DNF?ing is unheard of for Jim, so he replaced both tubes and waited for Sandy to pit. Jim followed Sandy out and trail rode the rest of the race. Pits went smooth until Kyle ?Rag Boy? came in with no clutch. He was ready to hang it up, but Pete and Uncle convinced him to ?Man Up? and head out on the second loop of a DMC Nat?l with NO CLUTCH?!?!?  Damnnnn..... that?s brutal~!

We had lots of finishers and only 1 DNF and although I can?t remember exactly where they all came in ...here?s my best shot:

Todd ?The Soloist? Iles - Group of riders finished.. Then nothing... nothing... then Viewie jersey in the distance coming across the valley into the finish.. And it?s Toodles... then nothing... nothing... Todd felt like he was in a Twilight Zone episode and was the only racer out there... no dust to see in the distance!!

Jim ?Tire Iron? McGrath - the master at work changing tubes out... and he went back out to nip at Sandy?s rear fender!

Brian ?Sandy? MacKenzie - The Sandman finished well (maybe won his class)!

Matt ?Can I Buy a Plug? Nay - DNF at a road crossing out at Camp Rock with a fouled plug. DMC ref reported him to our pits and he made it back to camp safe and sound.

?Stormin? Norm Takaki - Norm chose the one loop option and enjoyed DMC?s epic first loop!

John ?I Love DMC? Thornton - John has always enjoyed DMC?s National and since he hasn?t raced in over a year, decided to come back at the National?!  Okayyy.... well he had a good ride and really enjoyed the well-thought out first loop... and survived the crappy, boulder strewn, endless valley runs, virgin ?because a bike can?t go there? second loop.  He is probably a lil sore today...

Kyle ?Who Needs a Clutch? Nay - As stated above, Kyle ran the entire second loop without a clutch and it looks like he won his class! 

Austin ?Participant? Coulson - Austin has finally added a true ?Finisher? pin to his collection.  Austin has had a little trouble finishing an event and finally truly earned that coveted ?finisher? pin!  He had the dazed look of a war survivor... but he did it!! Congrats Austin - this is a finish to be proud of!

Jonathan ?Flat Tire? Gamaunt - the name says it all.  Jonathan came into the first check with flat... but finished!  Way to go Jonathan... that course could not have been easy with a flat.  Also big thanks to Julian who seemed to have worked on everyone?s bike this weekend (and always with a smile!).

Chris ?I hate you Todd? Bodkin(?) - Chris? first desert race and Todd brought him to do a National!  He finished... but I'm sure he thinks you all are crazy!

Great pit service by Pete ?The Man? Medina, Julian ?I thought this was a day off? Gamaunt, Aaron ?Dakar?s Dad? Price,  John Gable and lots of extra helping hands. Sorry if I left anyone out!
« : January 28, 2008, 11:01:15 am Kandy Thornton »

Kandy Thornton
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

: 1070

Once you've met me, you'll never 4get me!

« #1 : January 28, 2008, 11:20:40 am »

The kiddies were a lot of fun to chase around on the dunes.... I'm actually a lil sore from it ... I feel for all of you moms out there haha! We have some great upcoming talent in the Viewies (this includes you Kyle)! haha!

I just have to throw in that campfires are the best! I love the chit chat around the campfire especially with an amazing group of people!

Aaron Price has the cutest lil pup .. I was thinking of kidnapping her thean realized she might make a mess all over dad's truck ... so I let her go home with him!

~ ʊ Ms. Jenn ~ ʊ THERE SEEMS TO BE A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN MY PUBLIC PERSONA AND MY MILD-MANNERED PRIVATE ONE. ~
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #2 : January 28, 2008, 01:49:13 pm »

Thanks for the reports Thorntons and thanks for feeding Kyle, he said the Lasagna was EXCELLENT, but not perfect (ask Sandy where that leads you!). Kyle told us about the jumps at the dunes, even the over-jump, sounds like you had fun, thanks John for taking the crew for a putt.

Wish I had come, knew I would regret not coming out.

Thanks Pete for taking on the pit duty, sounds like you had it all under control.

I fixed the base station over the weekend so it will be back in service for the Moose Run.
Big Daddy Golden Rod
Viewfinder

: 497

« #3 : January 28, 2008, 04:03:29 pm »

Well I have to admit it Kyle deserves the game ball for this one, to even attempt this 2nd loop with no clutch is unfathonable, you couldn't pay me enough. We had to check to see if it was true after the race and the lever was limp. He will be in the running for most inspirational (or fool hardy). What a stud!

P.S. Don't let your head get too big or your hair won't grow back!
Kandy
Viewfinder

: 837

« #4 : January 28, 2008, 04:31:27 pm »

Well I have to admit it Kyle deserves the game ball for this one, to even attempt this 2nd loop with no clutch is unfathonable, you couldn't pay me enough. We had to check to see if it was true after the race and the lever was limp. He will be in the running for most inspirational (or fool hardy). What a stud!

Ohhhhh... a new nickname for Kyle "Rag-Splatter-Freestylin-clutchless" Nay... Kyle "LIMP LEVER" Nay!    ;D

Kandy Thornton
Kyle "Rag Boy" Nay
Viewfinder

: 80

ohhhh yeaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

« #5 : January 28, 2008, 04:40:08 pm »

i just wanna thank everyone for everything this weekend really makes me think of why i joined the club!! not to get pounded at the campfire bye sandy and Jenn.. dont worry my head isnt getting any bigger becuase one thing is i dont have a clue how i finished why i went back out there or what i was doing at all!!! i wanna thank the thortons for feeding me all weekend the food was amazing!!! and thank you a million sandy for putting up with me for the weekend i really appreaciate it!! thank you all in the pit! for the insperation the weekend was awesome!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yes i am rag boy; splatter just ask the barney's they ll tell the story!
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #6 : January 28, 2008, 04:47:32 pm »

i just wanna thank everyone for everything this weekend really makes me think of why i joined the club!! not to get pounded at the campfire bye sandy and Jenn.. dont worry my head isnt getting any bigger becuase one thing is i dont have a clue how i finished why i went back out there or what i was doing at all!!! i wanna thank the thortons for feeding me all weekend the food was amazing!!! and thank you a million JENN for putting up with me for the weekend i really appreaciate it!! thank you all in the pit! for the insperation the weekend was awesome!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No worries... your parents paid me gooooood $$ to take you for the weekend... I am the official Viewie Babysitter...

~ ʊ Ms. Jenn ~ ʊ THERE SEEMS TO BE A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN MY PUBLIC PERSONA AND MY MILD-MANNERED PRIVATE ONE. ~
Kyle "Rag Boy" Nay
Viewfinder

: 80

ohhhh yeaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

« #7 : January 28, 2008, 04:55:15 pm »

ouch allright then see if u get teacakes from me haha

yes i am rag boy; splatter just ask the barney's they ll tell the story!
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #8 : January 28, 2008, 10:26:46 pm »

ouch allright then see if u get teacakes from me haha

.... Patient.... Patient....Patiently awaiting Aaron's response to this one!

Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #9 : January 29, 2008, 12:15:46 am »

Before you guys jump all over me for photo clarity, please note that these photos were taken on the go and through the rhino windshield! SOME photos are better than NO photos! Wish I could have taken more of the kids on the dunes but every time I went to snap a pic someone was down, someone went over the bars, etc...

Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #10 : January 29, 2008, 12:18:35 am »

.. More!

Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #11 : January 29, 2008, 12:22:18 am »

My fave photo!
Connor learned to start his bike without putting it on the kickstand!

IT WAS A GREAT RIDE WITH SOME GREAT LITTLE PEOPLE (PUN INTENDED)!

Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #12 : January 29, 2008, 08:03:42 am »

P.S. Don't let your head get too big or your hair won't grow back!

Funny thing about this race and my boys. Two years ago DMC was Matt's first two looper. We had no ideal the reputation this race had, probably would have chosen a non-national or most certainly not DMC for his debut. Matt came into the pits mid-pack. We gassed him up and sent him out, as he was pulling out Bubba noticed he had a front flat, he chased him down but he wanted to go out anyway, didn't want to fix it. Well he finally finished the race but it really kicked his ass and on top of that, little did we know, he had broken his front brake lever on the first loop as well, he rode the entire second loop, and most of the first with a flat front tire and NO front brake.

I'm not sure what this says about my boys, either they're foolish or better riders than I think! I'm hoping for the latter!
Todd Iles
Viewfinder

: 85

« #13 : January 29, 2008, 11:55:52 am »

Thanks for the pictures Jenn, they are great.  Also, thanks to the whole Thornton clan for taking the boys on their first adventure out the the sand dunes while Conners dad (Chris) and I got our district cards and sign-ups taken care of !!  They had a blast and talked about it all the way home!!  You should hear the stories....a legend in his own mind,......he reminds me of.....ME!! ;D

And thanks again for watching them while we raced.  It is always hard for me to leave Steven at home if Cindy isn't coming out, he loves to ride and always wants to go.  Knowing that he would be safe while I was racing was awesome and allowed me to bring him out, I really appreciate it!

By the way.....did anyone else see Max Eddy (Sr.) about 5 mi. into the first loop???  Don't think he was wearing colors, but I appreciated the thumbs up,  couldn't let go of the bars as my hands were locked on them or I would have waved!!  As always, great pit Pete and Julian!  Thanks!

Norm Takaki
Viewfinder

: 455

« #14 : January 29, 2008, 06:22:21 pm »

Now that everyone done bagging on RAG BOY , I would like to thank him for pulling over to see if I was ok. The wind was so radical that it had taken my ft roof vent off , so I pulled over at 247 and Bear Valley Rd. and stuck an ice chest under it. But when we went to pull out a Semi went by with a mile of cars behind him. So THANKS RAG BOY .

Norm

Norm Takaki
Viewfinders MC Pres.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: