Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:59 pm

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  Memorable Memories
| | |-+  Found This on Work Comp...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Found This on Work Comp...  ( 2811 )
Kandy
Viewfinder

: 837

« : May 27, 2009, 10:10:49 am »

Cleaning up my directory here at work and found this - must have been a slow day in '02!  Wish we had some of those these days.  Here's an old DMC report - fun, fun times!

On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 10:55 PM, Kandy Thornton wrote:
Hey Viewies! Sorry about the delay in the Race Reports and Newsletter. Our computer is back up and running with Huge Thanks going out to prospective member Kevin Bentley for putting our machine back together better than ever! The Desert MC Winter Classic took place 2 weekends ago in Lucerne in pretty mild weather for this time of year. We were all waiting for the Birthday Boy (Charlie Powell) to pull in on Saturday. Once he arrived and left his truck unattended, we quickly decorated it with balloons, streamers, Birthday banners, etc. Thanks to Jenni and Dale for all their help with the Birthday Mobile! We had a great club turn out and lots of people camping out. At the fire on Saturday night, B-Day Da Blur was presented with a Birthday cake and the "official" Viewfinder Birthday Hat! We found out Dave Springer and Charlie share the same birthday - now that's kind of spooky.

Speaking of Dangerous Dave, if he ever asks you to go on a trail ride the day before a race - politely decline! The Pied Piper of Mayhem has lead the last 2 pre-race rides and 1st Norm went down with a jacked up knee and this time it was John's turn when he disappeared over a 15-20 foot drop-off! He rode the next day, but he was moving kinda slow! Dez MC marked out a course that was full of goat trails, sand hills and rock gardens. I have never seen so many flat tires and bikes running out of gas. Ty Davis was leading the race when he ran out of gas right before the finish. He did the "rock the bike" dance and got it going, but Destry Abbot passed him for the Win! Good stuff! The Viewfinders were well represented in most classes: 

The Kids Race - This was a National caliber Kids Ride with rocky downhill and all. Julian Gamaunts 2 sprockets both rode their first race this weekend. John "Hot~Rod" Gamaunt was tearing it up on his TTR90 and sister Katie was rippin on her quad. Club friend Nick Garvin who is only 7 years old, was battling it out in the Big Kids race with 9-11 year olds! These guys are D-37's future riders. They were all awarded trophies and a goody-bag full of stickers, t-shirt, etc!

We had a full Pit Board - unfortunately not a full finish!
Ron "The Bomb" Shuler bombed out with a flat tire. DNF
Allan "Pale~Ale" Laframboise - Al(e) had a great race. He finished 32nd overall and 4th in class! Way to go Al!
Travis "Iceman" Livingston - Travs was left out in the cold when he lost the tire off the wheel in the 1st loop! DNF
Don "Ironman" Brand - Don was leading his class into the pits and for most of the 2nd loop. He finished with a 2nd in class.
"Take it to the" Max Eddy, Jr. - Max is the son of Max Eddy who was a fast district rider and club member in the late 70's/early 80's. He has been riding MX and GP's and has decided to hit the dez hard this year. He is riding the 125 Expert class and looks like he'll be in the top 5 his 1st year out! He finished 3rd in class. Quit whining Max - it was a good finish!
Todd "Bring it On" Iles - Always good to see Mr. President out there with a good in class finish!
Josh Jerkins - Russ and Deanne Jerkins were back out in the dez with son Josh. Josh is running the 250 Expert class and it would be great to see him hitting the dez hard this year!
The Great Bartowsky - The Bart~Man came in late Saturday with Sparky~Marky. Huge Congrats to Bart for his 2nd in class finish. Bart will be picking up a trophy for this one!
Steven "YZ Kid" Beard - Steven ran out of gas on the 2nd loop and by the time the Club got gas out to him, he finished up with a trail ride. Better luck next time Steven!
Dangerous~Dave Springer - Dave cartwheeled on the bomb run and packed it in to cause trouble in the pitsDNF
John "Where's My Gas" Gable - John had a good ride and finished 3rd in class!
Jeremy "My Clutch Froze" Henderson - Jeremy's ran out of gas on the 1st loop and then the clutch went out - he finished up the club DNF's for this race!
Kevin "Show me the Trophy" Bentley - Kevin has an awesome race and finished1st in class! *High-Fives* on this one Bent!
John *Show me the Vicodin* Thornton - John was limping his beat body in on this one.
Matt "The Flat" Henderson - Matt came into the pits with a rear flat. The Mighty Pit Crew did a quick wheel swap and had him back out in good time. Unfortunately, Matt also ran out of gas on the 2nd loop. The Crew took gas out to him and he finished 3rd in class.
Mark (V111x) - Guest of Kevin's had a good ride!
Larry "Dual Sport" Mason - All Larry asked for on the Pit Board was a hot woman and a cold beer after his finish. He came roaring into the pits with high expectations and was greeted by Pit Tootsie Charlie Powell and a flat Pepsi!
Christine "No Flat Tires" Meyers - Christine was all smiles after this race. Kevin dialed her bike in and she liked this course better than the Jackrabbits!

Huge Thanks to our National caliber Pit Crew - Norm Takaki, Dale and Paul Cunningham, Julian Gamaunt, Lee Henderson, Steve Beard and Dave! Many thanks to Dale for bringing out our Birthday-Boy's cake and candles!

~Kandy

« : May 27, 2009, 10:13:15 am Kandy Thornton »

Kandy Thornton
highwayman1
Viewfinder

: 30

« #1 : June 09, 2009, 07:55:07 pm »

Kandy, as I sit here enjoying a fine bottle of "two buck chuck merlot", i saw this post and it brought back some really great times........what fun we had...hung over, pitting about twenty riders on a racing on Sunday.....simple racing and of course patching the Henderson boys bikes back together. (flat tires, out of gas, and worn clutches)....my bank account has never been the same!

Lee "enebriated" Hederson
highwayman1
Viewfinder

: 30

« #2 : June 09, 2009, 08:06:58 pm »

PS Matt was asked to be a late  fill-in rider for the Baja 500 on the Joe Black team which was affiliated with Penhall.  He managed to stay upright for about 140 miles and they took third place overall  -  not bad for the "Flat Matt" Thank God for the Bid Mousse!

Lee
Kandy
Viewfinder

: 837

« #3 : June 10, 2009, 09:18:36 am »

Hey Lee - John told me the other night he saw Matty was on a Baja team. Tell him congrats on the finish. When I found this on my comp it brought back a lot of memories for me too.  Man was it crazy fun back then and you, Annette and the boys are always in the best memories!  Pitting 2-3 riders at a time with only one eye open and tequilla headaches, scrambling for zip ties, duct tape and in your case tubes... haha... we need to get together for dinner, have a glass of wine and relive "Spin the Bottle Rockets"!  :o

Kandy Thornton
: [1]  
« previous next »
: