Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:01:58 pm

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  New side by side laws
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: New side by side laws  ( 3323 )
Charlie & Darlene Barney - Life Members, 2015 President
Global Moderator

: 1684

« : August 01, 2012, 07:13:32 am »

Bad News for UTVs and Rails...... Ca has done it again. It is my understanding of this that helmets are now required for all rails and UTVs in Ca. as well as 4 seat rhinos and converted UTVs are now illegal

New California UTV Legislation

AB 1595

(Sacramento CA. July 10, 2012) CORVA has learned in the past month or so of a new legislative proposal affecting UTV's like the Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger, Arctic Cat Wildcat.

The proposed legislation, authored by Assembly Member Cook and sponsored/supported by Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association ("ROHVA") Kawasaki Motors Corporation.

The bill started out on February 06, 2012 as a proposal regarding sales taxes and related items.

The proposal was gutted and amended (very quietly)on March, 29th in an Assembly committee to much of what the bill now provides.

Since that time, the bill has had some minor amendments but has passed the Assembly 71 to 0 and the Senate 36 to 0. CORVA expects by the time you read this that the bill will be on the Governor's desk for his signature and then Chaptered into law. [Update, the Gov signed the bill]

Of particular interest, the bill provides:

"This bill would define an off-highway motor vehicle to include a recreational off-highway vehicle, as defined. The bill would establish additional requirements governing the operation of a recreational off-highway vehicle."

In short, this bill will amend Section 500 of the Vehicle Code to define what a "Recreational off-highway vehicle" is. This section is more for a clear understanding especially for the Department of Motor Vehicles in the registration process.

More important for motorized recreationist, is the adding to the Chapter 8, commencing with Section 38600 to Division 16.5 of the Vehicle Code.

"38600. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall be at least 16 years of age, or be directly supervised in the vehicle by a parent or guardian or by an adult authorized by the parent or guardian.

38601. A person shall not operate, or allow a passenger in, a recreational off-highway vehicle unless the person and the passenger are wearing safety helmets meeting the requirements established for motorcycles and motorized bicycles pursuant to Section 27802.

38602. A person operating, and any passenger in, a recreational off-highway vehicle shall wear a seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness that is properly fastened when the vehicle is in motion.

38603. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not allow a passenger to occupy a separate seat location not designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger.

38604. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his or her back against the seatback with both feet flat on the floorboard, can grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness properly fastened."

CORVA is providing this information as a service to the motorized recreation community. CORVA has not taken a position on this legislative proposal.

Be wear
CB

CB
2015 President & Big 6 Rep/ Life member/ Joined-1974.
Do you Bleed Golden Rod ?
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #1 : August 01, 2012, 08:10:15 am »

Yep, don't know how this got by "under the radar" but it is huge for the SXS crowd.

The biggest deal I see is the one about kids riding in Rhinos. If your kid can't touch the floor he can't ride! There's no discretion allowed. Total B.S.

Big Brother strikes again! Now all the clubs laying out desert races with Rhinos will have to wear helmets while doing so, moving at a snails pace.
Global Moderator

« #2 : August 01, 2012, 09:30:44 am »

Also Donn small people like Darlene I don't think she meets the requirements belted in.

CB

CB
Rick Hudachek
Global Moderator

: 348

2016 President

« #3 : August 01, 2012, 01:18:00 pm »

38603. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not allow a passenger to occupy a separate seat location not designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger.

This means you cannot convert to a four seater (or at least have some one ride in the new seat).  Bad news for those that spent thousands on doing this  :((

D37 - V28x
The ONLY 2x winner of the Magisil Award!
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« #4 : August 01, 2012, 05:16:46 pm »

Mine is converted to a 4 seater, but the seats are not in there since the dogs ride back there or I use it for a work vehical at the GP.
I will just yank out the harnesses and be legal.  I don't really have a problem with the helmets, Its a pain when using the Rhino to haul stuff for the Pits or the GP, but I can deal with that part. The people I feel for are the families with smaller kids that don't ride, they most likely bought the SXS so they could all get out and ride together  :(( 

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Russ & Deanna Jenkins
Viewfinder

: 435

« #5 : August 01, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »

the side be side were made and sold just for that purpose,side be side they were made for two person and two person only.
  the manufactures only made them for 2 persons not 4 it was after market companies that were turning them into things they
  were not meant for.    and you had to be sixteen to drive them. polaris makes a 2 bench seat ranger and so does kawasaki mule,
   that are meant for more people. I am all for it to wear helmets and seat belts, their hae been too many people killed in these
   vehilcle because the failed to follow proper protocal

just my 2 cents worth

dee
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #6 : August 02, 2012, 11:09:27 am »

Also Donn small people like Darlene I don't think she meets the requirements belted in.

CB

I would hope the LEO's have enough common sense to realize that the rule is to prevent KIDS too young/small from riding/driving and NOT a responsible adult who just happens to be petite.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #7 : August 02, 2012, 11:23:16 am »

the side be side were made and sold just for that purpose,side be side they were made for two person and two person only.
  the manufactures only made them for 2 persons not 4 it was after market companies that were turning them into things they
  were not meant for.    and you had to be sixteen to drive them. polaris makes a 2 bench seat ranger and so does kawasaki mule,
   that are meant for more people. I am all for it to wear helmets and seat belts, their hae been too many people killed in these
   vehilcle because the failed to follow proper protocal

just my 2 cents worth

dee

Actually the side by sides were made for farm use, like the Ranger, Mule, Rhino, they evolved into "sport" vehicals, basically they were NOT designed to be used in the way they are being used.
The helmet rule is a pain, but its very common in an accident to whack your head on the roll cage.  Most of the injuries are broken legs/arms from getting crushed in a roll over.
We will deal with the new rules, sucks that there was no notice of the new laws being drafted.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Global Moderator

« #8 : August 02, 2012, 11:30:56 am »

Good news I had Darlene get in the Rhino last night and she can touch the floor sitting with back against the back of the seat and she can reach the hand hold. All is good for the Barneys and the new laws.

CB

CB
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #9 : August 02, 2012, 03:03:16 pm »

Good news I had Darlene get in the Rhino last night and she can touch the floor sitting with back against the back of the seat and she can reach the hand hold. All is good for the Barneys and the new laws.

CB

COOL !!

I do wonder if someone makes a adjustable seat slide for the older Rhinos, Lila would like to be closer to the pedles/steering wheel.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #10 : September 06, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »

http://arc.asm.ca.gov/member/65/eContact/65_23970y7bmgg7.htm

A little good news.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
: [1]