Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:20:49 am

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Racing Brace for your Neck
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Racing Brace for your Neck  ( 4609 )
Charlie & Darlene Barney - Life Members, 2015 President
Global Moderator

: 1684

« : December 11, 2006, 06:39:47 pm »

I'm very happy to let you all know I will be supplying the Leatt Neck Brace to the off road world here in Calif. If you have not heard of it you need to check it out. It's the first of it's kind. The brace allows you to ride/race with full movement of your head limiting the range of movement in a crash which greatly reduces the posibilty of upper spinal cord injury. I have been riding with one for about a month now and see it like my knee braces.  I wont ride with out it. I believe it is the biggest thing to happen to motorcycle safty equipment since the knee brace. I will have some at Jackrabbits for all to try and get your opinions. They will be for sale as well.
  I would like to see all of you try the brace.  If you want one that's great, if not, that's great as well.  They are pricey, but once you damage your neck severly, you are done riding forever. We all need to protect ourselves so we can ride another day. You can view it on Leatt.com and there is a good article on Vital MX.com and the brace just recieved RacerX product of the year as well.

Charlie Barney
Leatt Brace
Viewfinders MC (661) 273 -3363

CB
2015 President & Big 6 Rep/ Life member/ Joined-1974.
Do you Bleed Golden Rod ?
dezrider

: 1

« #1 : December 12, 2006, 06:40:10 am »

Charlie, I'll bet that after the incident at the Henderson 400 Steve will give you a great testimonial.
Global Moderator

« #2 : December 12, 2006, 06:46:28 am »

Yes he is, he was very happy to have one on.
Charlie

CB
Don Goll
Viewfinder

: 65

« #3 : December 12, 2006, 05:25:56 pm »

Holly crap Charlie! They are expensive! But I do wear knee braces that cost more. Is there a club sponser discount that you can pass on? Can you take a credit card? I think I have to finance it, lol. I will try it for sure at Jackrabbits. Nock on a shale rock, no neck injuries to date, but I have seen a lot of broken collar bones.

The worst was an expert friend at the Bad Lands in Moreno Valley, on a razorback ridge. He aplied to much front brake, on a turn, and the first time he hit was 30 feet down. Collar bone was broke in three places and what a pain in the ass to push his up the ravine. I'm so sympathetic, can't you tell. Desert racers, we're such a soft fuzzy crowd. I will definetly try it on!  ;D
Global Moderator

« #4 : December 13, 2006, 03:48:38 pm »

I can take your credit card, as of now there is no discount to anyone and I can explain more then you try it. My thinking is it pricey but once you damage your neck severely you end up one of two ways on the lucky side you can walk but never move your head again and never ride again on the unlucky side you never walk again. When you think of it that way it is very cheep.
Keep in mind my not saying this will 100% stop you from having  severely damage neck or upper spinal cord but it will greatly reduce your chances more then anything on the market today. Once you see it and try it I'm sure you will see why I got all jacked up about it and wanted to be sure my fellow off roaders know it is there.

Charlie

CB
Don Goll
Viewfinder

« #5 : December 13, 2006, 04:16:19 pm »

After I try it, and if I like it, I will buy one on the spot. Please bring an extra besides your demo. I hope you're there on Saturday so I have time to try it out.
Doug Phelan

: 286

« #6 : December 13, 2006, 04:44:49 pm »

Charlie,

What is the diff between the $395.00 model and the $995.00 model.
I know one is made from reinforced fiberglass and one is carbon fiber, what I want to know is how
much safer is the expensive model from the poor mans model?
Like, is the carbon fiber model rated for crashes over 200mph and the fibergalss one for crashes under 100mph?
How much more saftey is built into the carbon unit than the fiberglass model and how is it measured?
will I be $600 bucks safer if I buy the carbon fiber model or just $600 bucks poorer?

Doug
Don Goll
Viewfinder

« #7 : December 13, 2006, 06:24:49 pm »

Doug,

I'm just guessing, but I don't believe the carbon fiber one will be much "safer" if any. It's more a matter of weight. It would be definetly lighter. I see this a lot in mountain biking, where grams of weight can make a huge difference over a long haul and with a number of componets made lighter. As far as the neck brace, since it sits on your shoulders, I wouldn't think it would make that significant of a difference to warrant paying the up charge. I believe the carbon is a lot more also, because of the manufacturing process is more complex. Correct me Charlie, if I'm all wrong.
Global Moderator

« #8 : December 14, 2006, 07:17:36 am »

All the braces work and perform the same, you are correct it is weight and looks. My guess is that you wore it for long periods the light weight would pay off. I personally see no reason to send $995.00 plus tax other then bling factor. I have no idea what the weight difference will be at this time but if you want one I will get it for you when they come out. The one that I'm using is part carbon and plastic an honestly I forget it is on. I hope to have the kids model along the sport and club models for the demo ride at first race.

Charlie

CB
Don Goll
Viewfinder

« #9 : January 27, 2007, 10:37:32 pm »

Was out to DMC today, and Charlie was selling these like hot cakes at a Sumo Wresting competition. He was a very busy man. After you buy the brace from him, he custom fits your chest protector. It actually fells better than the demo. Really nice customer service Charlie!

I tried it and didn't like it at first, because it was cutting into my wind pipe when I was sitting and doing a turn. Charlie adjusted it, and I didn't notice it, and I forgot it was even on. You do notice it a little, but very little, when you are in the tucked position in 5th or 6th gear pinned, but nothing that really bothers you. In a standard standing position, I could turn my head totally from side to side and felt no restriction. Some noticed it more, when they were looking up. This can be adjusted a little. You have to try it on and if it doesn't feel right after you ride, you got to see if Charlie can adjust the problem out.

The diffence between the models is purely weight, and holding one of each in your hands, you can barely tell the difference. Save your money and get the fiberglass one that is incredibley light already. If this was for mountain biking and you were a pro, it might be worth it, but I doubt it.

I was really impressed with the product and highly recommend you give it a try. It's a great product and I bought one.

Thanks Charlie!
Don Goll
Viewfinder

« #10 : February 01, 2007, 09:59:34 pm »

I noticed that one of the guys that bought and rode with one on at the national gave a positive review on ThumperTalk.com. I think Charlie is going to be a very busy guy at the races.
Global Moderator

« #11 : February 02, 2007, 02:23:28 pm »

Don thanks for the nice words, I very gald you have a good experance we are trying very hard. If you have any issues with the brace I will do all I can to help. It is a great product and if it save one guy it is all worth it.

Charlie

CB
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

: 1070

Once you've met me, you'll never 4get me!

« #12 : February 06, 2007, 01:06:29 pm »

So I noticed the new braces made their appearance at the GP this past weekend. Did Leatt sign on as a D37 Big 6 GP sponsor??

~ ʊ Ms. Jenn ~ ʊ THERE SEEMS TO BE A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN MY PUBLIC PERSONA AND MY MILD-MANNERED PRIVATE ONE. ~
Global Moderator

« #13 : February 12, 2007, 02:28:57 pm »

No we were just out showing the braces. We want people to know there is something out better them the foam collars. JD from RPM ask us out this product makes sense.
Charlie

CB
Deanne Moore
Viewfinder

: 50

« #14 : February 21, 2007, 02:33:38 pm »

Hi Charlie,
What about for a rider like Shane who will continue to grow?  Do we have to buy more than one or does it fit a range of size.  BTW, Shane broke his collarbone riding a few weeks ago.  One sick kid is enough for me!  $395 sounds like a bargain compared to knee braces!
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: