Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:58:58 am

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  39.3 Mile Trek for Breast Cancer.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: 39.3 Mile Trek for Breast Cancer.  ( 2512 )
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

: 1070

Once you've met me, you'll never 4get me!

« : March 26, 2009, 11:52:12 am »

Fellow Viewies,

I have taken on my first official BIG conquest. On September 12-13 I will participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. On Saturday I am aiming to complete the full 26.2 miles, and Sunday will be 13.1 miles. I have a grandmother (dad's mom) who continues her fight with breast cancer, her 2 sisters - my great aunts also continue the UPHILL battle with this form of cancer. I attended a breast cancer tea sponsored by Avon/Kaiser Permanente and I really felt events of that nature were beneficial for women fighting the fight, and their family members. I would like to contribute to the education, and support of those currently undergoing treatment, and those in need.

I need monetary donations in ANY denomination. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk2009/LosAngeles?px=4659828&pg=personal&fr_id=1830

~ ʊ Ms. Jenn ~ ʊ THERE SEEMS TO BE A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN MY PUBLIC PERSONA AND MY MILD-MANNERED PRIVATE ONE. ~
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #1 : March 26, 2009, 01:33:27 pm »

Good luck with this Jenn. A close friend has done these walks before and they can be brutal. You need to train for this. Where is the one at that you are attending? I'll talk to Pam aout some assistance. We're heavily involved with the ACS Relay For Life in Burbank, another great association. We've all been touched by this form of cancer.
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #2 : March 26, 2009, 01:55:59 pm »

Good luck with this Jenn. A close friend has done these walks before and they can be brutal. You need to train for this. Where is the one at that you are attending? I'll talk to Pam aout some assistance. We're heavily involved with the ACS Relay For Life in Burbank, another great association. We've all been touched by this form of cancer.

Thanks! I have a few people who have participated in this event assisting me with some stuff... I will be training this weekend in San Clemente. The one I am attending is in Long Beach -- it's referred to as the "LA" event... any assistance/support is great .. One guy has already said "tons of epsom salt, and LOTS of socks"...

~ ʊ Ms. Jenn ~ ʊ THERE SEEMS TO BE A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN MY PUBLIC PERSONA AND MY MILD-MANNERED PRIVATE ONE. ~
Megan Irwin
Viewfinder

: 232

« #3 : March 30, 2009, 09:17:27 am »

Thanks! I have a few people who have participated in this event assisting me with some stuff... I will be training this weekend in San Clemente. The one I am attending is in Long Beach -- it's referred to as the "LA" event... any assistance/support is great .. One guy has already said "tons of epsom salt, and LOTS of socks"...

The key thing to remember when walking/running long distances is to STAY HYDRATED! Sports chalet sells fuel belts (yes, they are quite the fashion statement) and they usually have 3-4 small bottles and a pouch.  fill them will gatorade or something with electrolytes because when you're going that distance water just isn't enough. For food I would recommend luna moon gummies (they taste like fruit snacks!) and you should eat about 3 of them every couple of hours to keep your energy up! Also, remember not to buy new shoes right before the event...I bought new shoes a couple months before my event and even though I thought they were broken in, they still ended up giving me blisters!

Only Viewfinder to ever fail the Rock Star Test!
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #4 : March 30, 2009, 01:10:31 pm »

The key thing to remember when walking/running long distances is to STAY HYDRATED! Sports chalet sells fuel belts (yes, they are quite the fashion statement) and they usually have 3-4 small bottles and a pouch.  fill them will gatorade or something with electrolytes because when you're going that distance water just isn't enough. For food I would recommend luna moon gummies (they taste like fruit snacks!) and you should eat about 3 of them every couple of hours to keep your energy up! Also, remember not to buy new shoes right before the event...I bought new shoes a couple months before my event and even though I thought they were broken in, they still ended up giving me blisters!

Be prepared for blisters no matter what. When our friends walked in Phoenix they said most everyone had blisters. Ask around of the veterans and see what they say. I think there's some stuff called mole skin or something that will help when you get blisters.
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« #5 : March 30, 2009, 01:40:53 pm »

YEP,
mole skin works !!
We used it while backpacking, always seem to get blisters no matter what you do.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #6 : March 31, 2009, 03:53:11 pm »

Thanks! I am working on a sponsorship deal with Ogio for a hydration pack .. I have learned with fitness "style" goes out the window! I have been swimming at the gym and I never thought I'd be caught DEAD in a 1 piece swimsuit complete with swimcap (the silver bullet as I call it, or when I feel up to it, I wear my neon bright PINK PANTHER), and goggles... For regular gym stuff it's yoga type pants, sweet Nike shirt, with a sweatband headband. OHH YES... haha ...

Thanks for the luna moon gummies rec. I am going to meet with one of those shoe places and get all that in order! Thanks for the info! What kind of event did you participate in?

Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #7 : March 31, 2009, 03:53:57 pm »

YEP,
mole skin works !!
We used it while backpacking, always seem to get blisters no matter what you do.

I am quite familiar with it as Kendall swore by it and I thought the stuff was strange ..... I will keep some of it on me during the event! Thanks guys for the recommendations!

Ms Jenn
Viewfinder

« #8 : March 31, 2009, 03:56:02 pm »

I have to raise a total of $1800.00 in order to participate so if any of you have a spare $5.00, $10.00 whatever it helps me out greatly! My attorney has pledged $10.00 per mile but I wont receive that until post event. I do plan on going the entire way!

I was in San Clemente last weekend where I did some walking/jogging...

This weekend I will be in Primm, NV for Round 1 of the Lucas Series Shortcourse Series. I have just been asked to be a trophygirl and I will be working for Bully Dog!~ I am very excited and plan to park at the hotel and walk EVERYWHERE from there... no getting rides. I have to train when/where I can!~ ;)

Megan Irwin
Viewfinder

: 232

« #9 : March 31, 2009, 05:22:08 pm »

Thanks! I am working on a sponsorship deal with Ogio for a hydration pack .. I have learned with fitness "style" goes out the window! I have been swimming at the gym and I never thought I'd be caught DEAD in a 1 piece swimsuit complete with swimcap (the silver bullet as I call it, or when I feel up to it, I wear my neon bright PINK PANTHER), and goggles... For regular gym stuff it's yoga type pants, sweet Nike shirt, with a sweatband headband. OHH YES... haha ...

Thanks for the luna moon gummies rec. I am going to meet with one of those shoe places and get all that in order! Thanks for the info! What kind of event did you participate in?

I did the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon last june and raised money for Lukemia and Lymphoma...I had a blast, but I will never EVER run another marathon! It was waaaaaaay too hard on my body!

Only Viewfinder to ever fail the Rock Star Test!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: