Viewfinders MC
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:32 pm

:    
--VCMC Presents ISDE Qualifier Championship Jan 28-29 Gorman--Club play day, fun for all at Jenkins land February 18 & 19th--   Adventure Riders Anza Borrego Desert Dash February 25-26 Julian, CA -- Time to ride!!!

--
Lets Ride!!!!
20094 1915 190
: Joey Gardner
+  Viewfinders MC
|-+  Public Board Topics
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Desert Dash
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Desert Dash  ( 1081 )
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

: 2459

« : February 27, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

Sooo, Howd it go ???

:-(~
« : February 27, 2012, 05:16:28 pm Bob Johnson - D37 Rep »

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #1 : February 28, 2012, 07:34:48 am »

A short report:

Got there about 3 on Friday and CB pulled in as I was getting our campsite. Found a nice spot with a fire pit and as we're setting up Mike Castro from Rovers pulls in. CB had talked to him at DMC race and he thought he'd give it a try. So now we're up to 4 with Pete. Pete arrives about dark and we have a great dinner, etc.

Of course CB wakes us at 5:30 on Saturday! So we're up and out the door and on the trail by a bit before 7. Tons of fast sand washes, dirt roads, some tarmac, etc. and lunch at Johnson's Landing in West Salton Sea (what a lovely garden spot!). After lunch more fast sand washes, miles and miles of fifth gear two track and more sand washes. Got stopped by the state park ranger, real a hole, but no tickets. One mile from camp my countershaft bolt comes out. Pete brought the truck back for me and my bike. As we're getting ready for dinner Pete isn't feeling well, ends up tossing his lunch and in bed. After dinner we go back and Pete is totaled, shaking with a fever and dry heaving all night. CB wakes us up at 5:30 again, unfortunately this time it was to load Pete's bike and drive him home, so no ride on Sunday. CB and I make the round trip to San Juan Capistrano, get back about noon and CB loads up and heads home. I hung out for the afternoon with Mike and came into the office about noon Monday.

Excellent event from a coordination and facility point of view and Saturday's dinner and raffle were first rate as always. So sorry Pete got sick as I think Sunday's route is better than Saturday's, Mike sure liked it. 
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #2 : February 28, 2012, 10:09:04 am »

Except for the part about Pete, sounds like you had a great time.

Did Pete drink any of the water around there ??  most of it has a very strong sulfer taste and who knows what else is in it as far as minerals.
« : February 28, 2012, 11:46:05 am Bob Johnson - D37 Rep »

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Cchollister
Viewfinder

: 233

« #3 : February 28, 2012, 10:23:57 am »

If you haven't been out to this area before it is beautiful. Fish creek canyon is amazing.
Bob Johnson - D37 Rep

« #4 : February 28, 2012, 11:44:36 am »

MANY MANY years ago we used to go out there about once a month, SIL's parents had a trailer stored at Butterfield Ranch.
Rode just about everywhere you could at the time. 
One of these days I need to get back out to the area around S22, John knows the area well and also the area around Plaster City and the Superstitions.

Mr J
R32 DEZ
RETIRED !!
Brian Matthews
Viewfinder

: 201

« #5 : February 28, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »

It sounds like the Saturday layout was something new.  Did you still have to use that rocky road that looped around and dropped you into Borrego Springs?  Pete sounds like you a couple years ago.  Sorry you didn't get in both days.  Hope Pete is feeling better.
Donn Nay
Global Moderator

: 3443

« #6 : February 29, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »

It sounds like the Saturday layout was something new.  Did you still have to use that rocky road that looped around and dropped you into Borrego Springs?  Pete sounds like you a couple years ago.  Sorry you didn't get in both days.  Hope Pete is feeling better.

The rocky trail at the start is Oliflame Canyon, yes it was the same. Much of what we rode was the same as what you and I have ridden past years. Difference this year was after Borrego Springs gas we went east out of town, not southeast toward Ocotillo like in the past, this took us to the west side of Salton Sea. After lunch we headed south and reconnected with familiar trails, like Pole Line and Cutacross.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: